[HECnet] VMS on zx6000 - argh?

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 09:34:58 PDT 2011

Something else I've noticed is it's REALLY picky about keyboards and KVMs. I currently have it hooked up to to a Compaq KVM via a Belkin PS/2 to USB adapter and that seems to work okay. It starts up fine and booted into Debian and such okay (although Xorg didn't work but I blame that squarely on Xorg mis-detecting graphics card).

I hooked it up to my DVI/USB KVM and it freaked out on boot stopping and listing a couple of trap exceptions. It won't even get into EFI. I don't have a console hooked to the serial so I dunno if it's just disabling the video console due to the lack of keyboard (not detected or faulting) and falling back to serial - a lot of workstations do that. Unplug the USB and it POSTs fine and loads the book menu so I somewhat suspect it's not.

I also tried an Apple USB keyboard (I know I shouldn't let Apple stuff near real computers :P) and it did the same freaking out during POST thing.

anyone know why this is - is it just picky or am I missing a trick somewhere.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>