[HECnet] VMS on zx6000 - argh?

MG marcogb at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 8 00:20:25 PDT 2011

On 8-7-2011 1:03, Sampsa Laine wrote:
I _think_ this just means that OPA0: will be allocated to the serial port,
not that DECWindows won't run - am I wrong?

So once it's all installed and running, you'll get a X session up on the
graphics card - you just can't use it as a VMS OP console..

That's right, though, in his specific case DECwindows wouldn't work as there
is no support for ATi FireGL graphics adapters.

I heard HP is considering to support some new graphics adapters, like the
AMD/ATi FireMV 2250 (for which there should already be HP-UX support, though
only 'accelerated 2D'), because of some of requests and demand from several
big customers.   Demand for graphics support for these platforms is still
there, which is both interesting and nice, especially as we're told that it
is 'dead' and that 'nobody' allegedly 'cares' for it.

The only problem is that these modern cards are PCIe (PCI-Express) models,
thus won't be of much use for someone with a rx2600 with only PCI/PCI-X
slots...

- MG