[HECnet] VMS on zx6000 - argh?

MG marcogb at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 8 00:28:36 PDT 2011

On 8-7-2011 1:17, Sampsa Laine wrote:
Marco,

Is it possible to run VMS in a virtual machine (I think 8.4 supports
being a guest on Itanium) on a zx6000? What about a rx2600?

Unfortunately, no.   The version is right, but the rx2600 is not of a recent enough
architecture to support HPVM (or "IntegrityVM").   One must at least have a 9000
(Montecito), 9100 (Montvale) or 9300 (Tukwila) series IA-64 processor.   The rx2600
supports the Madison (at 1500 MHz, with 6 MB cache) at most.   Then, as Mark just
said, there's also the hypervisor and licensing issue.

On the HP public/anonymous FTP, there's a HP-UX .depot-file that contains "HPVM"
in the filename.   Maybe it's worth taking a look at?   I guess it can't hurt to try?
But, don't count too much on it.

- MG