[HECnet] AlphaServer 1000A memory?

Peter Coghlan HECNET at beyondthepale.ie
Tue Jul 5 20:10:49 PDT 2011

Mark Wickens wrote:

Whilst I'm thinking about it, does anyone have any Alphaserver 1000A
memory kicking around. I started getting a bit parity error a couple of
days ago (which the box helpfully pinpointed to an individual SIMM) but
had to pull all four SIMMs in the bank.

I also had a problem with memory in an Alphaserver 1000A. The firmware
did indeed narrow it down to an individual SIMM. However the diagram
inside the lid did not identify which SIMM was which, only the banks.

In the course of figuring out which SIMM was which by moving them around,
I found that the firmware sometimes lies about which SIMM is faulty :-(
If I put the SIMM which I eventually determined to be faulty into slot 2,
it got reported as a problem with slot 3 and despite trying all sorts of
permutations, I never found a way to make it report a problem with slot 2.
Problems with slots 0, 1 and 3 were correctly identified.

Someone kindly gave me a pdf of the owners guide since then which does
have a diagram of the memory layout with the individual SIMMs labelled
and I was able to confirm that I had correctly figured out which slot
was which.

The part number I'm looking for is: 50-21276-01-02, it's a 8MB x 36 SIMM
60ns EDO FPM, also listed as being for an AlphaServer 200 4/233.

My set of 3 spare working SIMMs arising from my one failed SIMM are marked:
"54-24123-AA 16MX36.60 Z" which doesn't seem to be what you need :-(

(My experience with ES40s is that they are very picky about memory and don't
like memory being mixed and matched. I don't know if this also applies to
the Alphaserver 1000A - hopefully not.)

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.