[HECnet] SIMH VAX Project

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Jul 1 17:37:25 PDT 2011

On 07/01/11 09:33, Mark Benson wrote:

On 1 Jul 2011, at 07:46, Johnny Billquist wrote:

RA92 is 1.4G.

I think 1.6GB is the unformatted size, 1.4GB after initialize.

Well, the unformatted size is actually even bigger, at around 1.9G. But who cares about that? It is not something you can ever see or use. And it's 1.4G after formatting, not initializing. (Atleast in DEC speak, where formatting is the low level formatting of the device, and initializing is creating a file system.)

To check free space on your disks: "SHO DEV D"

Shows only 17865 blocks free :\ That's less than 9 MB? (if my maths works out using 512byte blocks)

I played about and got a better report using SHOW DEV/FULL DUA0 (came back to me - I knew I'd read it in the handbook somewhere) which dumps:

[...]
So, you have a total blocks of 311200, which matches an RD54, yes. If your disk container is much bigger, and you haven't somehow gotten simh to restrict it, the total blocks number should match the hardware, so this would suggest that you got something wrong outside of VMS.

This is fun learning, and annoying at the same time :D

:-)