[HECnet] SIMH VAX Project

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 08:33:10 PDT 2011

On 1 Jul 2011, at 07:46, Johnny Billquist wrote:

RA92 is 1.4G.

I think 1.6GB is the unformatted size, 1.4GB after initialize.

To check free space on your disks: "SHO DEV D"

Shows only 17865 blocks free :\ That's less than 9 MB? (if my maths works out using 512byte blocks)

I played about and got a better report using SHOW DEV/FULL DUA0 (came back to me - I knew I'd read it in the handbook somewhere) which dumps:

Disk VAX001$DUA0:, device type RD54, is online, mounted, file-oriented device,
      shareable, available to cluster, error logging is enabled.

      Error count                                       0       Operations completed                             2759
      Owner process                                 ""       Owner UIC                                           [SYSTEM]
      Owner process ID               00000000       Dev Prot                       S:RWPL,O:RWPL,G:R,W
      Reference count                             42       Default buffer size                                 512
      Total blocks                           311200       Sectors per track                                       17
      Total cylinders                         1221       Tracks per cylinder                                   15

      Volume label                       "VAXINE"       Relative volume number                               0
      Cluster size                                     9       Transaction count                                     150
      Free blocks                               17865       Maximum files allowed                         15560
      Extend quantity                               5       Mount count                                                     1
      Mount status                           System       Cache name           "_VAX001$DUA0:XQPCACHE"
      Extent cache size                         64       Maximum blocks in extent cache         1786
      File ID cache size                       64       Blocks currently in extent cache     1674
      Quota cache size                             0       Maximum buffers in FCP cache             1227
      Volume owner UIC                     [1,1]       Vol Prot       S:RWCD,O:RWCD,G:RWCD,W:RWCD

  Volume Status:   ODS-2, subject to mount verification, protected subsystems
          enabled, file high-water marking, write-through caching enabled.

And yes, 4.8GB should be more than enough. Not sure what is going on...

What is going on is SIMH isn't accessing the full size of the files I specified. Even though I used RAUSE R disk types it seem to assume they are RD54s, which are only 172MB (confirmed: I googled RD54s and they are 173MB drives)?!

I have started with another 3-disk system using RA92s. It seems if you use a set disk type and a valid file path it will build a new file for you.

This is fun learning, and annoying at the same time :D

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>