[HECnet] Introduction

Kari Uusim ki uusimaki at exdecfinland.org
Sat Jun 18 09:19:31 PDT 2011

The file system in VMS is indeed different from the unix filesystems. You just need to understand how it works. Take some time to read the user manual. It'll pay off, because when you understand the key features, working with VMS will be easy. In VMS logical names are used widely and it is important to know how they work.
It might be easier to understand VMS if you forget about what you know about unix.

There used to be a book called "VMS for Unix users", but unfortunately I haven't found it in bookstores anymore. It would be really useful nowadays for those who have an unix backgound and need to use a VMS system. I would need one as well (or in fact several copies), because I have to teach VMS to unix people every now and then.

In this case seems that you try to delete a file but you don't define the complete file name with the device and path. VMS won't delete a file without an exact definition. You'll get the full definition   by finding the file with DIRECTORY.

$ dir a.a

Directory SYS$SYSDEVICE:[USERS.KARI]

A.A;1

Total of 1 file.