[HECnet] Introduction

H Vlems hvlems at zonnet.nl
Sat Jun 18 09:21:04 PDT 2011

Now I have a couple of VMS systems running which greatly improves my aging
memory ;-) And will keep my electricity meter spinning a lot faster too.

The contents of the DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER-SETUP.COM file:

$ set verify
$ decw$server_page_file== 160000
$ decw$xsize_in_pixels == 1280
$ decw$ysize_in_pixels == 1024
$ define/exec/system/nolog decw$server_pixel_depth   24
$ define/exec/system/nolog decw$server_refresh_rate 75
$ set noverify

The file ought to be in: SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSMGR]
The set verify and set noverify commands are similar to ECHO ON and OFF in
DOS.
When the script is found by the startup procedure then you'll notice its
output on the console.

To clarify the logicalname problem you're having in deleting and copying the
private server file, have a look at this:

$ dir sys$manager:DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER-SETUP.COM
%DIRECT-W-NOFILES, no files found
$ dir sys$startup:DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER-SETUP.COM
%DIRECT-W-NOFILES, no files found
$ sho log sys$manager
    "SYS$MANAGER" = "SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSMGR]" (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)
$ sh log sys$startup
    "SYS$STARTUP" = "SYS$SYSROOT:[SYS$STARTUP]" (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)
              = "SYS$MANAGER"
1   "SYS$MANAGER" = "SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSMGR]" (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)
$

VMS owes a lot of its flexibility to the logical name concept. Logical names
are more than just an easy to remember and fixed label for a system property
that will use different hardware with all kinds of physical names.
SYS$STARTUP is a logical name AND a search list. It translates first to
sys$sysroot:[sys$startup] where sys$sysroot is yet another logical name.
If the file is not found there, it will in turn look in sys$manager.
While copying, deleteing or modifying (edting) files you'd better change the
default directory to the real directory where the file actually resides in.
Hans