[HECnet] Linux dropping support for DECnet

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Nov 30 15:57:33 PST 2011

On 2011-11-30 22.44, Angela Kahealani wrote:
On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 06:06:07AM -0800, Bob Armstrong wrote:
    FYI - it sounds like the Linux kernel guys are discussing dropping support
for DECnet.   I don't know how many other HECnet people use Linux (I know I
do!), but if you're interested you might want to join the linux-decnet-user
list

I'm still awaiting clear and complete instructions on how to set-up the
Panda TOPS-20 distro on top of Linux, to even *become* a HECNET user.
Until such time as the DECNET community cares enough to document this,
I'm going to fail to particpate, and therefore give a damn.

That came across as rather aggressive.
Care to explain what the DECnet community is, how they in any way are related to the setup of TOPS-20 on top of Linux (by which I actually assume we're talking of some PDP-10 emulator, upon which you then install the PANDA TOPS-20 distribution).

As for instructions on how to install the PANDA TOPS-20 dist on some kind of PDP-10 emulator, running on whatever, I'd suspect MRC would be the most logical person to ask.

As for how to install/setup some PDP-10 emulator, I guess it depends on the emulator.

As for how to get DECnet running under TOPS-20, that have just about no bearing on Linux whatsoever.

Sorry, I just felt your reply was a little bit non-sequiteur. :-)