[HECnet] Area 54

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Nov 28 09:32:43 PST 2011

On 2011-11-28 17.58, Peter Coghlan wrote:
What is the status of area 54?

Tore Sinding Bekkedal requested it a long time ago, but it has never been used.

I joined the list ages back with a view to connecting to HECnet but sometimes
I seem to take a long time to get around to doing things :-)

You are not alone. :-)

I have several DECnet capable machines that were on a now defunct network
which used area 54 and I put other machines I since aquired into the same area.

With all this talk about connecting to other networks resulting in renumbering
and so on, I wanted to express my interest in area 54 in case someone picks it
at random to renumber their existing area into.

On the other hand, perhaps someone is already using 54 somewhere and wishes
to continue using it, in which case I will have to make other plans.

I'd say that you can probably take area 54. I should check with Tore, if he's still around, but since it hasn't been used in all this time, odds are that you are free to go.

On the subject of connecting to HECnet, would anyone be interested in being
the other end of a Multinet link to my network? I have a fixed ip address
which is up all the time and at least two of my DECnet capable machines are
running all the time. I think I have all the needed bits and pieces of software
and licenses.

Sounds like we should be able to get you up and running in no time.