[HECnet] BLISS-16?

Tim Sneddon tim.sneddon at bigpond.com
Mon Oct 10 15:18:41 PDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 15:57 +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
Hi, Steve.

Looking for the cross compiler. (Like I said, BLISS-16 for VMS... :-) ).

I've seen one reference for uBLISS, but I have no idea of the status of

Micro-BLISS was a BLISS compiler that ran on the PDP-11.   However, it
was not at all successful.   Given the size of the BLISS compiler much
of the optimisations, etc. had to be removed to make it all fit.   I
don't believe it was actually completed as a project.

that one. Was it even usable? Why did DEC not use it internally for the
Bliss stuff for PDP-11s?

PDP-11 BLISS was either written on a PDP-10 or VAX.   The PDP-11
Fortran IV compiler was written in BLISS-11.   DECnet was written in
the Common BLISS dialect.

Tim.