[HECnet] SIMH on CentOS 5.6

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 07:49:48 PDT 2011

On 6 Sep 2011, at 07:30, Ian McLaughlin wrote:

When I dd'd off a copy of the VAX VMS CD-ROM it didn't work for me initially either. Now I can't remember which way round it was now, but I think I dd'd the whole CD-ROM and it didn't work and then I dd'd off only the *partition* with the data in and that worked fine. Either that or the other way around. From the looks of the quote above you only need the partition.

Memory is terrible, sorry :)

On my system (CentOS 5.6) I see the /dev/cdrom device which is symbolically linked to /dev/hda (which makes sense - it's the only IDE device I have in the machine).   There is no hda1 or other devices for the partitions.   fdisk /dev/hda comes back with an invalid partition table.

I remember how it went now - I was doing it on a Mac which uses a BSD disk structure. I dd'd the disk device (/dev/disk6) and it wouldn't work. I then dd'd the slice that reported as the actual volume (/dev/disk6s0) and it worked a charm.

I don't know how that's represented in Linux, however. Also fdisk won't show a partition table for a CD-ROM, I don't believe, because they are not structured as hard drive partitions. I put my VMS VAX CD-ROM in my Ubuntu box and the Disk Utility reports it at /dev/sr0 which is a SCSI ID but my Microserver has a weird disk controller.

I honestly don't know how to approach it unless you have something like gnuparted to hand to look at the disk?

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>