[HECnet] SIMH on CentOS 5.6

Ian McLaughlin ian at platinum.net
Tue Sep 6 07:30:10 PDT 2011

On 2011-09-05, at 11:21 PM, Mark Benson wrote:

On 6 Sep 2011, at 06:52, hvlems at zonnet.nl wrote:

The dd command ought to produce a bootable copy of the cdrom. On Tru64 the correct partition is
If=/dev/disks/ cdrom0c

When I dd'd off a copy of the VAX VMS CD-ROM it didn't work for me initially either. Now I can't remember which way round it was now, but I think I dd'd the whole CD-ROM and it didn't work and then I dd'd off only the *partition* with the data in and that worked fine. Either that or the other way around. From the looks of the quote above you only need the partition.

Memory is terrible, sorry :)

On my system (CentOS 5.6) I see the /dev/cdrom device which is symbolically linked to /dev/hda (which makes sense - it's the only IDE device I have in the machine).   There is no hda1 or other devices for the partitions.   fdisk /dev/hda comes back with an invalid partition table.

Ian