[HECnet] Area 61 node list

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Apr 30 21:49:21 PDT 2012

On 2012-04-30 22:44, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 04/30/2012 03:54 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
Here is my current node list. AXPEE is up 24/7. Last night I
finished unloaded a truck full of stuff from my old house, including
lots of VAXen, so there will likely be some more coming up soon.

Node Name System
61.1 GW Cisco 7206VXR, IOS 12.3
61.2 AXPEE DS10L, 466MHz, 1GB, 120GB, VMS 8.3
61.3 EBOLA VAX 4000/700A, 128MB, 4GB, VMS 7.3
61.4 MECCA PDP-11/53, RSTS/E v10.1
61.5 FANG PDP-11/70, RSTS/E v10.1
61.50 RA Linux

Gothca.

    By the way, I know "GW" is a pretty generic name; you can leave that
out if you'd like.   It's just my router here.

One convention that I've seen/used in the past have been to call the area router for areas in DECnet names like "AnnRTR", where nn is the area number. So, in your case, that would be A61RTR. It's an idea anyway. But I'll leave it to you to decide what to call the machine. I just keep the records...

Another file you might want to look at, if you prefer, would be
MIM::US:[DECNET]NODENAMES.DAT. The format should be obvious if you check
either that, or FIX.CMD

By the way, I hope you know that VMS can copy the nodename database
directly from another machine without you having to hack files on your
own, if that is the reason why you asked for a file...

    (from your reference below, I just did that)

:-)

    What I'll need to hack the files for, though, are Linux, RSTS/E (most
likely), and the Cisco.   I'll just do it with an awk script, that'll be
quick and easy.

Right. Although, you might be able to more or less use the file as is for RSTS/E...
And unless you actually need to do stuff on the Cisco, you don't really have to have a complete nodename database in there...

Assuming you are running Phase IV, just do:
"MCR NCP COPY KNOWN NODES FROM MIM TO BOTH"
and you are set.

    Oh nice, I didn't know about that trick.   Thanks!

You are welcome. :-)
Now, under RSX, you do this in a very different way. And don't even ask me about RSTS/E, since I don't know for that one. ;-)
(Nor do I know a TOPS-20 equivalent, but I would like to...)