[HECnet] TOPS-20 systems on HECnet?

gerry77 at mail.com gerry77 at mail.com
Mon Apr 9 21:23:03 PDT 2012

On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 15:25:08 -0400, you wrote:

NCP>define node 19.301 name dusty
I get the same "Operation failure" doing it that way as well.

I did get a "set node" command to work (when I hadn't before), but that
doesn't help me get it into the permanent database.

If it works like TOPS-10 DECnet, there is no permanente database: at every
boot you have to load the database again.

You may want to create a file containing a SET NODE for every node you want
defined, one per line, and then have it TAKEn by NCP at boot time. I think
you'll have to play with SYSTEM:SYSTEM.CMD and/or *-PTYCON.ATO to have NCP
do it. Something like ENTER NCP, then TAKE yournodelist.CMD, then RETURN.

Because this is quite slow, there is also a much faster TOPS-10 utility that
appears to run even on TOPS-20. Its name is NODNAM and can be found here:

http://pdp-10.trailing-edge.com/tops10_tools_bb-fp64b-sb/01/10,7/decnet/nodnam/nodnam.hlp.html
http://pdp-10.trailing-edge.com/tops10_tools_bb-fp64b-sb/01/10,7/decnet/nodnam/nodnam.mac.html
(There is the binary executable too.)

On TOPS-10 it works like a charm, TOPS-20 DECnet is yet to come for me... :)

HTH, :)
G.