[HECnet] Alpha emulation

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Thu Apr 5 09:52:03 PDT 2012

On 5 Apr 2012, at 11:47, John H. Reinhardt wrote:

Thanks.   That's what I'd seen.   The other probable show stopper for me is that it only runs under Windows.   If I bought the emulator, then I'd have to also buy a Windows license to run it.   :(   But nobody seems to have a working Alpha emulator that runs under Linux.   At least one without limitations that are annoying.   The CHARON   -AXP/ES40 for Linux NCE needs to be manually re-started every 30 days and it only allows 2 emulated scsi disks.   I'm not even sure it's current. The documentation page says the binary expires on 12-31-2010 so apparently hasn't been updated in a while.

I'll still prob go for it - I've got a Win7 box doing nothing so I'll maybe move CHIMPY onto it..I think it might be as fast or even faster than the DS10, but we'll see. If not, I'll run it as an extra host, maybe cluster the two.

Whoa! new surprise.   I logged into the Stromasys site to look at the downloads and the ES40 emulator has been retired!   No longer available.   You have your choice of a MicroVAX 3600/3900, DEC3000-400, AlphaServer 400 or AlphaServer DS10.   The DS10 is Windows 64-bit XP/7 only.   The DEC3000-400 is Windows 32-bit XP only.   MicroVAX is Windows 32-bit, Linux 32-bit and ESXi (VMWare) and the AS400 is Windows 64-bit, Linux 64-bit and ESXi.   What a motley assortment of supported hosts - none of which are what I'm looking for. :(

Yeah, that kinda sucks. I wrote them and asked about the ES40 NCE, let's see what they say.