[HECnet] Alpha emulation

John H. Reinhardt johnhreinhardt at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 5 09:47:54 PDT 2012

Thanks.   That's what I'd seen.   The other probable show stopper for me is that it only runs under Windows.   If I bought the emulator, then I'd have to also buy a Windows license to run it.   :(   But nobody seems to have a working Alpha emulator that runs under Linux.   At least one without limitations that are annoying.   The CHARON   -AXP/ES40 for Linux NCE needs to be manually re-started every 30 days and it only allows 2 emulated scsi disks.   I'm not even sure it's current. The documentation page says the binary expires on 12-31-2010 so apparently hasn't been updated in a while.

Whoa! new surprise.   I logged into the Stromasys site to look at the downloads and the ES40 emulator has been retired!   No longer available.   You have your choice of a MicroVAX 3600/3900, DEC3000-400, AlphaServer 400 or AlphaServer DS10.   The DS10 is Windows 64-bit XP/7 only.   The DEC3000-400 is Windows 32-bit XP only.   MicroVAX is Windows 32-bit, Linux 32-bit and ESXi (VMWare) and the AS400 is Windows 64-bit, Linux 64-bit and ESXi.   What a motley assortment of supported hosts - none of which are what I'm looking for. :(

Here's the link although you'll probably have to create an account to see it.   http://www.stromasys.ch/downloads/downloads-freeware/

   John H. Reinhardt