[HECnet] AXP Emulation

Fri Aug 10 01:50:31 PDT 2012

On Aug 9, 2012, at 6:10 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

On 08/09/2012 04:07 PM, Sampsa Laine wrote:
Why is SIMH so slow though?

Because it's extremely portable with no architecture-specific
assembler assists.   As I won't use anything that's NOT portable, I
consider it to be screaming fast.

I don't know about Hercules, but dtcyber is all C code, and it seems to be substantially faster than simh.

As far as I can understand, one MIPS is roughly one VUPS, correct?

More or less...depends on who you ask.

So how come I get 14 VUPS on the same host running SIMH whilst my Hercules install peaks at 180?

Ummm...because one is an IBM mainframe architecture and the other is a
VAX?   MIPS is a very, very different thing between different architectures.

True, but a 360 is also a CISC machine, somewhat simpler than VAX but not massively so.