[HECnet] AXP Emulation

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Aug 9 23:12:58 PDT 2012

On 08/09/2012 05:21 PM, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:
For example, how does the SIMH pdp11 compare to E-11?   I can't make a direct comparison, unfortunately.

  I'm told E-11 is faster than simh.   That's the trade-off for
portability.   I usually run simh on the fastest (in terms of integer
performance) computer here, which is a large UltraSPARC system.   I can't
run E-11 on that.   The UltraSPARC machine, even while busy, runs rings
around my Core i7 quad desktop box running simh.

I did notice that SIMH vax seems surprisingly slow, at least when running NetBSD.

  VAX is a "big" architecture and instruction set to emulate.