[HECnet] AXP Emulation

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Aug 9 23:10:02 PDT 2012

On 08/09/2012 04:07 PM, Sampsa Laine wrote:
Why is SIMH so slow though?

  Because it's extremely portable with no architecture-specific
assembler assists.   As I won't use anything that's NOT portable, I
consider it to be screaming fast.

As far as I can understand, one MIPS is roughly one VUPS, correct?

  More or less...depends on who you ask.

So how come I get 14 VUPS on the same host running SIMH whilst my Hercules install peaks at 180?

  Ummm...because one is an IBM mainframe architecture and the other is a
VAX?   MIPS is a very, very different thing between different architectures.

Are the architectures that different (obviously they are) or what is it?

  They very much are, yes.