[HECnet] TCP based bridge / router, what's the status?

Jarratt RMA robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Mon Aug 6 17:18:51 PDT 2012

Not sure I recall this particular conversation, but I am making (slow) progress on a user mode DECnet router that runs on Windows and Linux and which I intend to make friendly to those who do not have a fixed IP address (like me). Not sure if that is what you were referring to.

Right now I have the Ethernet Initialization sublayer about done for actual Ethernet connections. I still need to do an interface that will interop with Johnny's bridge program, this should be easy when I get to it, when I do it I will add a periodic check that the IP address is still valid by checking against DNS (you would need to be registered on a dynamic DNS service like DynDNS). I believe Johnny does not do this in the   bridge because of the temporary halt in packet processing this entails. Personally, this is  a price I am willing to pay. I could make it asynch I suppose, but it is harder to do this in a portable manner.

Regards

Rob