[HECnet] Node 4.249

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Tue Aug 28 17:08:23 PDT 2012

I'm not totally clear on your setup. You have two interfaces, eth0 and eth2.
I think I got that. And the bridge program is using eth0 for it's bridge.
But how does your ethernet looks like? Is both eth0 and eth2 connected to
the same physical network? Is the router on that same segment as well?

Both interfaces are on the same segment as the router.

What sessions are you seeing on the router?

On the router I see the following sessions:

        Private IP :Port #Pseudo Port                 Peer IP :Port   Ifno   Status
  192.168.1.126   4711                 4711     130.238.19.25   4711         3   0
  192.168.1.127   4711                 4711     130.238.19.25   4711         3   0

Where 192.168.1.126 is eth0 and 192.168.1.127 is eth2

And what did the routing table on the machine running the bridge look like,
if you have two interfaces?

No idea on this one.

The bridge program does not try to do anything clever with the UDP packets,
so they will be sent on any interface, based on your routing table. It might
sound as if your router/NAT was pointing at the IP address of eth0, but the
default entry of the routing table on your machine would be using eth2. But
this is all wild guessing right now...

OK, that probably explains it. I thought the bridge was tied to that
particular interface. It's worth pointing out that what I'm doing it
probably daft - the 2nd card was installed to use for a SIMH instance,
so I should probably de-configure it from an OS point of view.