[HECnet] Managed to get an emulated S/390 with MVS up - any way we can get this beast onto HECnet?

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
Sat Aug 4 19:12:13 PDT 2012

El 04/08/2012, a les 19:54, hvlems at zonnet.nl va escriure:

The -CT for sure won't work with amulator. The -ST might provided the control unit is emulated and talks may be to a parallel (seriel ?) Interface on the host?
------Origineel bericht------

Well, Hercules emulates a CTCT (Channel-to-Channel) connection via TCP sockets which allows to connect two Hercules instances. Now, if anyone is up to develop a channel adapter in the simh side... :) Anyway, according to the Hercules docs:

"Note: CTCT currently only supports IP traffic, so it cannot be used to transport NJE, SNA, PVM, etc. type payloads. This may change in the future."

So it won't probably work even having a pair in SIMH.

As for the -ST version, this could be encouraging:

"( Preliminary 2703 BSC Support )

Describes a BSC emulation line entry to either link 2 Hercules engines or a custom made program emulating a 2780, 3780 or 3x74, or a custom made program interfacing to a real BSC line.

The communication is emulated over a TCP connection. All bytes are transfered as-is (except for doubling DLE in transparent mode) just like it would over a real BSC link. Emulated EIA (DCD, DTR, CTS, etc..) or X.21/V.11 leads (C, T, etc..) are treated differently depending on the DIAL option selected.

The line emulates a point-to-point BSC link. There is no point-to-multipoint handling."

Again, my MVS expertise lies far away from net/comms, so I'm not sure if this could do the trick.

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons
jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
HECnet: BITXOV::JGUILLAUMES