INFO.TXT, was Re: [HECnet] UPDATE: HECNET.HLP file for VMS systems

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Dec 29 18:57:06 PST 2012

On 2012-12-30 03:46, sampsa at mac.com wrote:

On 30 Dec 2012, at 04:28, Dennis Boone <drb at msu.edu> wrote:

  So what's supposed to be in this INFO.TXT file that everyone's been
talking about lately?   I think I may be too much of a newcomer here to
know about it.   Where should it be, and what should it contain?

Bob has a nice explanation in his INFO.TXT file on LEGATO.

Yup. Be aware that the HLP compiler cuts out any text after the .BEGIN-HECNET-INFO bit so put anything you want in the help files ABOVE that.

Speaking of HLP compilers, I've set up a cron job to run on Sundays at 0500 EET, my robot will be sending update notices to the list when they happen.

Curious - do you have a Unix system on which you run this then. What kind of Unix system did you manage to talk DECnet good enough?
Or how does this hang together, since you're using cron it's obviously driven by Unix somewhere in the back...