[HECnet] new node

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Dec 25 23:52:27 PST 2012

On 12/26/2012 02:47 AM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
61.6, BIGV7K

Vax 7720, 2GB RAM, HSJ50-based CI-connected disk arrays.   VMS
v7.3. It will be online sporadically, but pretty much full-time for
now, to help heat the building until we get our natural gas feed
turned on.   (no joke!)

7720, That'd be dual processor right?

  Yes, a VAX-7000   with two 700-series processors, ~50 VUPS/ea.

Accounts given upon request.

I'd be interested in an account. I've never actually had an account
on a real VAX, it'll be interesting to start with a big one. ;)

  Send me a requested username and password in private email. (note that
I'm crashing now and will get to it tomorrow)

...and let me just say that 2GB of RAM is an AWFUL FRIGGIN' LOT on
a VAX! 8-)

I can imagine! What will you do with it all? Run emulators and
calculate pi? ;)

  Just hack VMS to heal and purify my soul between last-minute design
revisions and firmware updates on my projects for work.

How much total disk?

  ~4GB mounted, ~16GB connected, all SCSI, controlled by CI-connected
HSJ50s.