[HECnet] HECnet mapping project

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Wed Dec 26 02:49:02 PST 2012

On 12/26/2012 4:30 AM, Rob Jarratt wrote:
Actually it looks like I would need to implement various other layers before
I could even start on NICE, that might be a bit too much. SNMP might be an
option in that case. I don't know much about the details of SNMP, I can look
it up of course but I guess there would need to be a format for the routing
and end node data, if I can match what CISCO produces then that would make
it easier, anyone have any info on this?

You guys got off into the woods fast. :)

I will look into non-dec router devices after we get the dec ones nailed down with my current code.

I'm thinking possibly SNMP for the cisco devices, yes. Not 100% sure that'll work though.

As to your router if you don't want to bother with NICE or SNMP just let me know how I remotely query your device. How that happens is up to you so long as it isn't silly. :)

A simple API that shoots back something like JSON or XML is fine, for example.

We'll talk later when I get to you. :)

Just to cover something here, as far as non-bridge link I *will not* do manual stuff. That's just icky.

For the bridge connections I don't see that we have a lot of choice so we'll have to think on that when we get it.

-brian