[HECnet] Getting a virtual cluster connected

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Tue Dec 25 14:52:41 PST 2012

Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> writes:

On 25 Dec 2012, at 15:06, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

On 12/25/2012 03:02 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote: >> Ah.   Is any sort of
encryption done for cluster-over-IP? >=20 >   Oh heck no.   That sort of
overhead's resultant latency would destroy > the performance of a
cluster on all but the very fastest of machines.

Ah, right, I'm forgetting that clustering sends a lot of data.

Not necessarily.   However, depending on what you are doing, DLM (Distributed
Lock Management) traffic and T/MSCP (Tape/Mass Storage Control Protocol) can
become heavy consumers of your ethernet cluster connect.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG