[HECnet] Older VAXVMS Install kits?

Steve Davidson jeep at scshome.net
Wed Dec 26 07:29:43 PST 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE
[mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE] On Behalf Of Cory Smelosky
Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2012 18:04
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Subject: Re: [HECnet] Older VAXVMS Install kits?

On 23 Dec 2012, at 17:59, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

On 12/23/2012 05:56 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
As i'm not getting anywhere with my TOPS-10 endeavours,
I thought
i'd try something else: older VAXVMS in SIMH's VAX-11/780
simulator. ;)

1). What would be the best/most interesting version to try? 2).
Where would I get install media for these older versions? ;)

I have a bunch of older VMS distributions.   I don't know
if they're
available anywhere else or not; I would assume so but am
not sure.
At least several 3.x and 4.x distributions, going back to
3.0.   Let
me know if they're wanted and I can put them up somewhere.

Please upload them, I am quite interested in older VMS.

I don't want to squirt them around publicly.   Do you have
a place on
HECnet that I can copy them to?

Unfortunately, my link is currently down (Steve's been busy
and we've been unable to quite get MWATCH working for me), so
we'll need to use some other method. Can you dump them on a
system here via scp? I have a pentium II I can give easy
access to for that.

I will try to deal with that today.   So far this morning I have been
reworking NETUPDATE because of the large number of node additions and
changes.   I found a bug when running it on GORVAX::.   Seems that Sampsa
never changed the SCSSYSTEMID when he changed areas...   I'll leave that
as an exercise for Sampsa.

Sampsa,   Tag - you're it!   :-)

The new version of NETUPDATE is much faster and deals with cluster
environments.   Current versions should pick up the new version
automatically.

-Steve

I'd say 4.7 for speed and period-correctness, 5.5 for
feature fulness.

Maybe i'll go with both!

Do it!

I will!

The last release of VMS to run on an 11/780 was, I believe, v6.2.

I have a copy of 6.2 in some file format nothing knows.
VMS doesn't even seem to.

Send me a copy and I'll see if I can figure it out.

I found it here:
http://wdl1.winworldpc.com/Abandonware%20Operating%20Systems/M
isc/OpenVMS%206.2%20%5bVAX%5d.7z ( I hope you can handle 7-zip. > It's
probably really VMS backup format and I was using it wrong. ;) )