[HECnet] Older VAXVMS Install kits?

Steve Davidson jeep at scshome.net
Sun Dec 23 15:45:03 PST 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE
[mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE] On Behalf Of Cory Smelosky
Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2012 18:36
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Subject: Re: [HECnet] Older VAXVMS Install kits?

On 23 Dec 2012, at 18:33, "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-"
<system at TMESIS.COM> wrote:

Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> writes:

On 12/23/2012 05:21 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote: > As i'm not getting
anywhere with my TOPS-10 endeavours, I thought i'd > try
something else:
older VAXVMS in SIMH's VAX-11/780 simulator. ;) > > 1).
What would be
the best/most interesting version to try? 2). Where > would I get
install media for these older versions? ;)

I have a bunch of older VMS distributions.   I don't know
if they're
available anywhere else or not; I would assume so but am
not sure.
At least several 3.x and 4.x distributions, going back to
3.0.   Let
me know if they're wanted and I can put them up somewhere.

I'd say 4.7 for speed and period-correctness, 5.5 for
featurefulness.

The last release of VMS to run on an 11/780 was, I believe, v6.2.

V7.3 should run on it.

Really? I seem to recall reading several places that 6.2/6.3
were the last to run on an -11/780.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker
VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG

What will run and what is supported can be two entirely different
things!

-Steve