[HECnet] Older VAXVMS Install kits?

Steve Davidson jeep at scshome.net
Sun Dec 23 15:44:18 PST 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE
[mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE] On Behalf Of Dave McGuire
Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2012 18:10
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Subject: Re: [HECnet] Older VAXVMS Install kits?

On 12/23/2012 06:06 PM, Steve Davidson wrote:
The VAX-11/750 was (is) a DOG!

  It's a dog that I love, and that particular one did an
awful lot of real work at my former employer's facility.
Running 4.7, it'd support a dozen scientists logged in all
day long running simulations in FORTRAN.

  That was one of the most dependable computers I've ever
been exposed to.   I took good care of it, but it took good
care of me too.

4.7 probably ran ok on that system.

  It did.

5.x not so much.

  Yup.

My office machine was a MicroVAX-II/GPX (dual head) with
16 megs of memory.   I still have that machine - I was able
to take it
home when I left DEC.   The 3600's ran just fine.

Both the UVAX-II and 3600 class machines ran fine standalone or, as
part of a cluster.

  Very nice!

  I've run many a MicroVAX over a lotta years, and until this
moment I considered myself to know just about everything
about them...but...Dual-head?!   How?   Both a VCB01 and a
VCB02 maybe?   Or can you move a VCB02 to a different CSR and
tell DECwindows to find it?   Do tell!

Dual VCB02's with HUGH (and HEAVY monitors) and DECwindows-Motif.   The
magic is in the configuration of DECwindows and the HW of course.

The system is running NetBSD 1.5 (headless) at the moment.   I use it to
copy the virtual PDP-11/23+ (PLUTO::) to the physical drive for the
physical PDP-11/23+.   Both environments use RD54's for their system
disks.   You would be hard-pressed to know which environment is running -
they are almost identical in configuration and performance.   It took
quite a while to find a HW and SW configuration to mimic the 11/23+, but
I think it was worth it.

-Steve

-Steve