[HECnet] Older VAXVMS Install kits?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Dec 23 15:10:28 PST 2012

On 12/23/2012 06:06 PM, Steve Davidson wrote:
The VAX-11/750 was (is) a DOG!

  It's a dog that I love, and that particular one did an awful lot of
real work at my former employer's facility.   Running 4.7, it'd support a
dozen scientists logged in all day long running simulations in FORTRAN.

  That was one of the most dependable computers I've ever been exposed
to.   I took good care of it, but it took good care of me too.

4.7 probably ran ok on that system.

  It did.

5.x not so much.

  Yup.

My office machine was a MicroVAX-II/GPX (dual head) with
16 megs of memory.   I still have that machine - I was able to take it
home when I left DEC.   The 3600's ran just fine.

Both the UVAX-II and 3600 class machines ran fine standalone or, as part
of a cluster.

  Very nice!

  I've run many a MicroVAX over a lotta years, and until this moment I
considered myself to know just about everything about
them...but...Dual-head?!   How?   Both a VCB01 and a VCB02 maybe?   Or can
you move a VCB02 to a different CSR and tell DECwindows to find it?   Do
tell!