DECnet/DOS, was Re: [HECnet] DECnet and Windows NT?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Dec 21 11:06:31 PST 2012

On 12/21/2012 03:59 AM, Jordi Guillaumes i Pons wrote:
While you're at it, DECnet/DOS was really nice for the time.   I
believe (but am not certain, can anyone clarify?) that it is what
grew into Pathworks.

We used it extensively in our network back at the early 90's. IIRC
the name evolution was DECnet/DOS => PCSA => PATHWORKS. The main
problem with the DOS version was it ate a lot of "real" memory (about
300KB if my memory does not betray me). That left a very small space
for applications...

On the nice side, it came with an EDT compatible editor (SEDT... I
miss it :)) and a XServer for DOS which worked nicely with
DECWindows. That was the reason the puck mouse interface was in the
LAN card.

We had a DEC-centric office system back in those days. ALL-IN-1
running in the VAXen and WPS-DOS running in the peecees for word
processing (BTW, does anyone have a WPS-DOS disk set arount? ;)).
20/20 for spreadsheet at both sides. And TEAMDATA to allow the end
users to browse the databases.   We bought 3300s for the remote
offices. 3 of them I think. We linked those to our main site using
1200bps point-to-point lines with DECRouters at each side (1 port
models at the remote end, a 4 port one at our central office). One of
those 3300s ended at my home, and is now called BITXO2 :).

  Nice!

  The DECnet/DOS I ran didn't have an editor or an X server; the one
you're talking about must've been a bit later than mine.   Neat stuff.

  If I can find my DEPCA board, and the software, I will bring it up in
an AT-style box of some sort, just for the heck of it. :)