[HECnet] Anyone got spare MMJ-MMJ console cables?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Dec 21 11:52:21 PST 2012

Sorry to spam everyone, I tried to take this off line but Brian a message to <system at tmesis.com> bounced...

No idea, probably because mine is el cheapo.   I also have a really
good Ideal RJ45/RJ11 based crimper which is what I used for CAT6 cables.

But for this, it's not Paladin -- its off  brand/non-name I probably got from China  ->
but I might have found it some place here in the Boston area  like Eli's
(a true geek holy place for non-Bostonians) or maybe Frys on a trip to left coat..

At some point I wanted/needed a MMJ and I found this one with a bunch
of connectors cheap (my memory was it was $10-15 for crimper and some ends
and they were trying to get rid of it).   Since, I had 6 conductor "silver statin" on spools at home - figured it
was worth the a few bucks to try it.    It ended up being good enough for what I
wanted.

A couple of year later, I had to start hacking on Lego I dug it up, I
bought the Lrgo male plugs from somebody I found via google (maybe 3-4 years ago).
So, I   took the MMJ  tool apart and hacked it.   I do not remember it being very hard.

The whole thing is sad/silly for both Lego and DEC - RJxx was/is a fine standard.
Why did they have to mess with it?   (Don't answer that I know - why but
it was things like that that contributed to DEC's undoing IMHO).

Anyway, my point was and still is that "google in your friend" and much of this is very findable.

Clem

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- <system at tmesis.com> wrote:
Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> writes:

>Good point, I took a DEC tool and turned the plate around for Mind
>Storms hacking.    But my point is that the tools and plugs are findable

I have a Paladin crimper with interchangeable dies for many different types
of connectors and I cannot see how you "turn around" the MMJ die.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker      VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG