[HECnet] Anyone got spare MMJ-MMJ console cables?

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Fri Dec 21 12:30:41 PST 2012

Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> writes:

Sorry to spam everyone, I tried to take this off line but Brian a
message to <system at tmesis.com> bounced...

No idea, probably because mine is el cheapo.   I also have a really good
Ideal RJ45/RJ11 based crimper which is what I used for CAT6 cables.

But for this, it's not Paladin -- its off brand/non-name I probably got
from China -> but I might have found it some place here in the Boston
area like Eli's (a true geek holy place for non-Bostonians) or maybe
Frys on a trip to left coat..

At some point I wanted/needed a MMJ and I found this one with a bunch of
connectors cheap (my memory was it was $10-15 for crimper and some ends
and they were trying to get rid of it).   Since, I had 6 conductor
"silver statin" on spools at home - figured it was worth the a few bucks
to try it.     It ended up being good enough for what I wanted.

A couple of year later, I had to start hacking on Lego I dug it up, I
bought the Lrgo male plugs from somebody I found via google (maybe 3-4
years ago). So, I   took the MMJ tool apart and hacked it.   I do not
remember it being very hard.

The whole thing is sad/silly for both Lego and DEC - RJxx was/is a fine
standard. Why did they have to mess with it?   (Don't answer that I know
- why but it was things like that that contributed to DEC's undoing
IMHO).

Anyway, my point was and still is that "google in your friend" and much
of this is very findable.

About 15+ years ago, I had one customer who decided that MMJ connectors and
cables were too expensive.   So, they opted for a similar system devised by
a company called Mod-Tap.   At least, that's the logo that was on all of the
connectors and cables.   This comany also had a telephone system that used
RJ12 connectors.   Would you like to know how many terminals and DECservers
I replaced at this company when their employees plugged in the wrong RJ12
terminated cables into their phone system???   I'd happily keep all the MMJ
connector in a scenario such as that.   They were far far cheaper than the
replacement terminals and DECservers.   DEC, of course, didn't mind it one
bit. ;)

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG