[HECnet] Statistics

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Dec 17 09:49:02 PST 2012

On 12/17/2012 12:39 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
Automagically generated charts.

Analog, Webalizer...lots of others.   All of them have been doing
this for more than fifteen years.

I know, but they need to be set up, which is slightly less automagic
for a lazy sysadmin. ;)

  Setup is like five minutes.   A sysadmin THAT lazy should not be
trusted with root.

  Seriously man.

Also, some people prefer out-of-band analytics. I'd be fine with
webaizer or analog personally, I have google analytics set up but i
never use it. Mind I get about 1 hit/year...

  I'd like to see a convincing argument for running the analytics
out-of-band.

  Not trying to be argumentative...but too many people these days in
this business insist on things for the sake of insisting on something,
without anything to back them up.   I am not accusing YOU of this of
course, as you've mentioned that you don't use it.

  The only time I enjoy this is when I paid to clean up the resultant
mess. ;)

  Google offers these services because they want any and all data that
they can get their paws on.   It is far from high-minded community
service thinking.   First they offer free email, now they've got your
email.   Next they offer free office "web apps", now they have your
business documents.   Now your web traffic stats.

  Mind you, I don't think Google as a company is evil, but they employ a
LOT of people, and a LOT of people have access to those databases.
Further, Google has a history of just rolling over when the federal
government demands information.

  I cannot imagine anyone in their right mind being comfortable with
this, especially when respectable, self-contained, state-of-the-art
network services can be set up with 100% free software on hardware that
can be picked up on the curb on trash day.

</soapbox>