SV: [HECnet] Hecnet map update

Peter Coghlan HECNET at beyondthepale.ie
Tue Jan 10 03:59:06 PST 2012

I like the idea of expanding the info.txt .. time zone column

Fine by me.     How is time zone expressed?   Simply giving a numeric offset
from GMT is problematic for places that observe daylight savings time - we'd
have to update the file twice every year.   Can we use something like PST8PDT??

If we want to specify a time zone, the only reasonable way to do it is
numerically, specifying both hours and minutes as not all timezones are on hour
boundaries. Strings such as PST and PDT are not defined for all timezones, are
not unique and many are not well understood at a distance. I am told that EST
means two different things in Australia and another in the US for example.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.