[HECnet] INFO.TXT

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Thu Jan 5 14:09:10 PST 2012

On 05/01/12 16:21, Mark Benson wrote:
What is the INFO.TXT you guys are talking about? Should I have one on STAR69 with my node list in?
Mark,

The HECNET INFO.TXT files is located in the default directory for the FAL$SERVER account, which is referenced from other nodes using <NODENAME>::INFO.TXT - for example SLAVE::INFO.TXT

[MSW]SLAVE$ type slave::info.txt
Marks Office, Windermere, UK

(a working set of computers - definitely not a 'collection' ;)

BUBBLE and SLAVE serve the HECnet.eu website via WASD
BUBBLE has a captive account, NETHACK, password NETHACK for playing, you guessed it, nethack.
http://www.hecnet.eu
              - HECnet.eu website
http://www.wickensonline.co.uk
              - My personal website
http://blog.wickensonline.co.uk
              - My BLOG

.BEGIN-HECNET-INFO
ADDR |NAME   |OWNER             |EMAIL                       |HARDWARE                     |OS                           |LOCATION         |NOTES
4.249|SLAVE |Mark Wickens|mark_at_hecnet.eu|AlphaServer 1000A   |OpenVMS 8.3         |Windermere,UK|WASD
4.250|ORAC   |                       |                                 |VAXstation 4000/90 |OpenVMS 7.3         |                         |ALLIN1
4.251|ZX6000|                       |                                 |HP IA64 ZX6000         |OpenVMS 8.3.1-H1|                         |16GB RAM
4.252|NODE3 |                       |                                 |DEC 3000/600 AXP     |OpenVMS 8.3         |                         |
4.253|NODE2 |                       |                                 |Compaq DS10L             |OpenVMS 8.3         |                         |
4.254|ZEN     |                       |                                 |VAXstation 4000/60 |OpenVMS 7.3         |                         |Clustered
4.255|X60     |                       |                                 |IBM X60 Thinkpad     |Ubuntu,WinXP       |                         |
4.256|BUBBLE|                       |                                 |VAXstation 4000/90 |OpenVMS 7.3         |                         |Nethack,WASD
4.257|ELLEN |                       |                                 |DEC 3000/600 AXP     |DUnix 4.0G           |                         |
4.258|TIGER |                       |                                 |Alpha 300 4/266       |DUnix 5.1             |                         |
4.259|ALEPH |                       |                                 |VAXstation 4000/VLC|OpenVMS 7.3         |                         |Clustered
.END-HECNET-INFO

Arbitrary text before the text: .BEGIN-HECNET-INFO
The the format as specified followed by: .END-HECNET-INFO

I've been meaning to do something with these for ages and add some more info to hecnet.eu, but I held off because I wasn't sure whether people wanted this level of information available across the internet.

Regards, Mark.