[HECnet] Router for area 1

Bob Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Thu Jan 5 08:21:24 PST 2012

I wrote-
	OpenVMS Network status for local node   2.1 LEGATO on   5-JAN-2012
08:11:19.43

                      Area     Cost   Hops       Next Hop to Area

                          1           4         1           QNA-1         ->   1.300   CTAKAH

  It bugs me, although I can't point at an actual problem that it causes,
that the routing node for area 1 is seen as CTAKAH, rather than MIM.   Since
CTAKAH is not actually local to Uppsula (I think that's where MIM is) but is
rather at the other end of yet another bridge, this means that any traffic
for area one, no matter what its ultimate destination, has to make an extra
round trip to Russia.

  This happens because when there are multiple routing nodes for the same
area, DECnet uses the one with the highest address.   The obvious solution
would be for Johnny to renumber MIM as, say, 1.1023.

Bob