SV: RE: [HECnet] Hecnet and DDCMP

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Jan 2 19:36:12 PST 2012

Kevin, what you are basically talking about here then is how do diagnose and debug a broken serial connection. It's the same no matter if you are running SLIP, PPP or DDCMP on that serial link. It's still just a cable with GND, RX and TX, and possibly some modem control signals.

And it is no different if you instead are doing interactive traffic, such as a normal terminal connected to a computer. It's still the same serial connection.

If you want to understand how a serial port works, that is excellent. But the first thing you need to understand is to differentiate between the physical layer, and the communications protocol that runs on top of that physical layer.

As for PPP or SLIP on VAX/VMS, no, that did not exist earlier than DECnet over serial, as VAX/VMS had DECnet before it had TCP/IP, and SLIP can only talk TCP/IP. PPP can in theory run any protocol, but it was still not implemented on VAXen for DECnet.
But my point was that if you want to tunnel DDCMP, it will be exactly the same solution you'd do if you wanted to tunnel any protocol using a serial interface. There are absolutely no difference from your tunnel point of view whatever protocol is used on the link.
It will only be a stream of bytes on a serial link anyway.

And yes, it will work just fine running DDCMP on top, and you can get DECnet connectivity that way. However, it is not very fun, since the actual speed of the serial interface will be 9600 bps no matter what, if you have physical machines involved, since DECnet insists on setting the speed of DDCMP interfaces to that, or slower.

	Johnny