SV: RE: [HECnet] Hecnet and DDCMP

Kevin Reynolds tpresence at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 2 19:02:15 PST 2012

Johnny,

First and foremost, I want to learn how to configure and understand how these devices connected historically so I can troubleshoot the connectivity.   This gives me the best feeling of true understanding.   Unfortunately, I don't have a slew of these systems (I have a single Microvax II) that I can use to interconnect, so I am locked into simulating at least one end of the connection.   I was hoping to do this with simh.   Secondly, I was hoping to create error conditions and determine whether I can diagnose the problem.

As this is legacy hardware, protocols, and otherwise, I understand that aside from understanding how some of our modern protocols and systems emerged from knowledge of the old systems.   I am I really hoping to start a little further back to solidify my understanding of modern technology without all of the additional layers of distraction included with modern systems.

Did the VAX/VMS platform have an option to include PPP or SLIP previous to decnet +?   I have a good knowledge of these protocols.   I used slip back in the day when I had to connect with a pr1mos system that wouldn't allow pass-through connection to the internet.   PPP, especially multilink using PPP I have implemented multiple times (even recently...silly, but I didn't choose).   My ultimate goal is to pass decnet phase IV (not plus) traffic over the connection.

Thanks,
Kevin