[HECnet] Re: [DECtec] Cable spec for MMJ cables

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Jul 11 22:17:16 PDT 2012

On 2012-07-11 19:59, Jarratt RMA wrote:

On 11 July 2012 15:42, Mark Benson <markbenson at mac.com
<mailto:markbenson at mac.com>> wrote:

      I have ordered 100 MMJ plugs and a MMJ compatible crimp tool to make
      my own MMJ cables.

      I would like to know the cable spec (how many cores, flat or round,
      twisted pair or not) and also the wiring spec for each end (does one
      end cross over or not).

The "normal" DEC cables are flat. 6 wires. Always crossed (that is, crimp each end "upside down" compared to the other").
The exact nature of the separate cables inside I'm slightly unsure of, but I'm pretty sure it is multistranded.

      --
      Mark Benson

      http://markbenson.org/blog
      http://twitter.com/MDBenson

Where did you order the crimper from? I have only been able to find very
expensive crimpers I cannot justify buying.

I have a crimper, but did not know that you could still get new MMJ plugs.