[HECnet] pdp-11/83-84

Fri Jul 6 02:00:44 PDT 2012

On Jul 5, 2012, at 7:35 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:

Oh, and I saw some additional discussions about the CIS option for the F11. Unless I remember wrong, and understood things wrong, it is not just a simple PROM. It's a coprocessor, which have logic in addition to whatever microcode the coprocessor need.
So no way of just duplicating a PROM to get a CIS.

Not unless someone could dig up the details.   If it *is* just a PROM, even if it's an oddball bipolar model with different interface specs, it should be easy to reproduce that with a small FPGA.   Any reasonable modern FPGA is way faster than a 1980s era bipolar ROM, so modeling the interface timing should be easy.   And level conversions should be doable.

	paul