[HECnet] pdp-11/83-84

Steve Davidson jeep at scshome.net
Fri Jul 6 02:03:59 PDT 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE
[mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE] On Behalf Of Dave McGuire
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2012 03:53
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Subject: Re: [HECnet] pdp-11/83-84

On 07/05/2012 02:22 AM, Boyanich, Alastair wrote:
Quick question. I've just snaffled an M8190-AE with what I think is
the
21-21853-06 FPU as an upgrade for either the 11/70 or
11/23Plus at home.

  Nice!

I've seen reference to CIS microcode for these boards about
the place
and am extremely keen to have a go at it with macro. I'm
not "actually"
sure if it has it in the PROMS, but being handy with a EPROM
programmer hopefully I can find it. Does anyone have any reading
material on how to figure out if the CIS microcode is installed ?

  Huh?   That's a J-11 based board, and I'm pretty sure the
CIS option for the J-11, while planned, was never actually
shipped.   It would have been two additional chip carriers on
the bottom side of the big white
J11 multi-carrier chip.

  The only ROMs on a KDJ11-Bx board contain the boot/diag
code, not microcode, and conversely, the only microcode on a
KDJ11-Bx (or any J11-based board for that matter) is in the
microcode ROM, which is a part of the "control" chip, which
is one the two chips on the J11 multi-chip carrier itself.
No microaddress lines or any other internal state machine
stuff is brought out to the pins of a J11.

  (sorry!)

  You CAN, however, get a CIS option (if you can find it!)
for your 11/23!   I too would love to mess with CIS a bit;
I've never done so.   I have two CIS option board sets for my
11/44s but have not yet installed them.

The node PLUTO:: is a PDP-11/23+ with both CIS and FPU running RSTS/E.
You can run an emulated one using SimH if you do not have the physical
hardware.   I have both running.   You would be hard pressed to know if
the system running (and connected to HECnet) was the real one or not!
COBOL was the reason that CIS was designed for the 11/23+.   Other
languages can also make use of it.   One that comes to mind is DIBOL.

-Steve