[HECnet] This is probably been asked already but....

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Mon Jul 2 14:22:11 PDT 2012

On 02/07/12 13:56, Tony Blews wrote:

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 1:49 PM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:
Ultrix I'd like to at least boot for novelty factor (to extend
my claim of having used a vast array of brands of UNIX) and maybe even
a PDP version of UNIX Sys7 or something. The former DECnets, the
latter to my knowledge does not.

I'm not the first, obviously, but I actually finished this bugger off this morning:
http://www.tonyblews.co.uk/2012/07/ultrix-pi-and-simh/

Well done for that Tony, these walk through's look really simple to do on the surface but the reality is that there is significant uninteresting grunt work to get the information out there on a web page, despite all the blogging software tool help.

We could do with a few more of this kind of thing for the more esoteric operating systems and 'layered products'. The other thing that Steve Davidson has proven too me (by being very nice in pointing out how horrendous some of my VMS setup's have been) is that getting VMS installed with some layered products compared to having a properly configured VMS machine are very different points on a long line.

I noted from my previous post that Matt has a walk through of installing decnet on RSX: http://www.9track.net/pdp11/decnet4_netgen
which might be of interest to some.

I wouldn't have a clue how to do that!

Mark.