[HECnet] decnet.org

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jun 27 05:18:14 PDT 2012

On 06/26/2012 03:09 PM, Sampsa Laine wrote:
I know I'm going to sound all Web2.0 and stuff, but maybe a Wiki + a
blog that announces new posts to the Wiki?

  Actually, a Wiki with some documentation would be a great idea.

  But it   s the same answer     I   m just offering the domain name;
somebody else has to set up the machine and service.

I'll host it if everyone is cool for the low-end hosting that I use
(i.e. Dreamhost)..

They also do automatically updated mediawiki + wordpress installs so
that'll work.

  I am NOT throwing stones at this idea at all, but if anyone would find
this of value, I run my own self-contained network here...beefy Solaris
machines with big redundant fibrechannel disk arrays, backed up to big
tape juke, backup power, separate database servers, local nameservers,
etc, all on industrial-grade non-PC hardware, in a commercial building,
and I do quite a bit of commercial and noncommercial hosting on this
network.

  I would be happy to make as much space and bandwidth available as
needed.   I just don't have a lot of time these days (I moved from FL to
PA to find work, and I found a lot more than I bargained for) so I don't
want to work on the content, but if others can do that, I can make
whatever network resources available that would be needed, gratis of
course, for the group.   I suggest this because I consider this to be
"friendly territory" network-wise, rather than at the whim of some
corporation somewhere.

  If you guys don't want to go that route for whatever reason, that's ok
too.   Just wanted to extend the offer, as it's one of the few things I
can do to help, and not everyone has these sorts of resources.