[HECnet] VAXstation 3100 boot - now you see it, now you don't...

Peter Coghlan HECNET at beyondthepale.ie
Thu Jun 28 10:18:54 PDT 2012

The m38 gets to '...B' in the countdown and then restarts with the
graphics test ad infinitum.
The m30 gets to '...B' in the countdown and then hangs. The countdown
includes a question mark after the initial 'F?'

The good news is I've seen something like this.

The bad news is it was caused by leakage from the battery pack.

The batteries in these machines are very old now and I would suggest removing
them and recycling them whether they are leaking or not. If they are not
leaking now, they are going to start soon.

Suitable replacements can sometimes be found intended for use with cordless
phones. The machine can be also be left without a battery pack although it
will not remember it's boot settings and will need the time to be reset every
time it is turned on.

Test B is the memory test. Try removing the memory expansion board and check if
the test completes then. Check the expansion board and the main board for
corrosion damage.

I think test F relates to the monochrome graphics system.

I've got to run now but I can dig up more information later if nobody else
chimes in before I return.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.