[HECnet] VAXstation 3100 boot - now you see it, now you don't...

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Thu Jun 28 09:16:07 PDT 2012

Quick question as I'm getting sick of breaking VAXen lately -

I've installed Ultrix 4.4 on both a VAXstation 3100 m38 and a VAXstation 3100 m30.
Both were working before installation, both now hang on boot during POST now.

The m38 gets to '...B' in the countdown and then restarts with the graphics test ad infinitum.
The m30 gets to '...B' in the countdown and then hangs. The countdown includes a question mark after the initial 'F?'

Anyone got any ideas? My best hypotheses are:

* coincidence - old machines not been run in a long time, both just happen to have broken.
* ultrix updates nvram in some way which causes the problem (the backup batteries are surely flat now)

Ultrix/VAX is still eluding me and I just feel like I deserve to get it running given all the pain I've gone through trying over the years!

Regards, Mark.

--
http://www.wickensonline.co.uk
http://declegacy.org.uk