[HECnet] [Simh] Pi VAX Cluster

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Jun 16 20:52:44 PDT 2012

  Yes it was.   I had several of them, and I had fun with them.   Until I
learned of the 21066's performance issues and UDB design's thermal
problems, I had high hopes of replacing half of our datacenter
(thousands of machines) with these little boxen.

  Fortunately I was able to take one or two home after we decided not to
do that. :)   I never ran VMS on them, but I did run Digital Unix, which
worked well.   I later tried Linux, but in those days, on Alphas, half of
the processor cycles were spent in the alignment fixup trap handler, so
even waiting for keystroke echo was painful...not a good sign for a
processor clocked at 166MHz or 233MHz!   I went back to Digital Unix in a
hurry!

                        -Dave