[HECnet] Introducing myself... and my little network

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Jun 8 10:50:38 PDT 2012

On 2012-06-08 11:10, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 06/08/2012 05:08 AM, Mark Benson wrote:
    The TK85 can read TK50s?   I didn't know that!   If that's the case,
it's likely that the TF85 (DSSI version) may as well, and I have one of those.   That may be one more option to get my huge pile of TK50s read.

I had a feeling the later TKs read TK50. I read it on on of HP's DLT
compatibility docs but couldn't remember if it was TK50 or TK70 that
was the oldest compatible format. I have a SCSI-II DLT4000 drive (TK88
or 89??) and I know that doesn't read any old TK tapes, only DLT1,2
etc.

    The general rule with most of those format is that the current drive
will read and write the current format, and read (but not write) the
previous format.   There are of course exceptions, but not many.

Indeed. Such as the Tx85 reading both TK50 and TK70. :-)