[HECnet] New Face

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jun 15 13:20:00 PDT 2012

On 06/14/2012 09:34 PM, Tony Blews wrote:
I've just joined the list.

  Welcome!

I'm Tony, and I worked with VMS and Ultrix boxes and DECnet back in the
late 80s/early 90s.
I'm currently running an emulated MicroVAX with OpenVMS 7.3 on a single
board computer the size of a cigarette pack (The Raspberry Pi).
Having played about with TCP/IP and getting the webserver running, I
thought it might be a nice idea to get DECnet up.
Sure, I could just set up a local one within the house to connect
various emulations, but that just seems too easy.

So, my questions:
1. Is HECnet still active?

  Oh yes!

2. Can I add my "machine"?

  Of course!   I just brought my network online a few weeks ago.   We're
having fun!

3. Can it be called "PIVAX"?

  I believe this has already been addressed...no fistfights, please. ;)

I already have a separate Linux box running (the house file server), so
installing the bridge software isn't a problem.

  Sounds like my kind of geek.   Have fun!   I've got an Alpha running VMS
online all the time, and I occasionally have some VAXen and PDP-11s
running, and am working on a PDP-10.   All real hardware, but I'll
probably be putting up an emulated PDP-11 and PDP-10 full-time soon.